06 February 2014

Not On Vacation Anymore…


 Reality is a smack in the face after feeling like I’ve been on an elongated vacation for the first 10 days. This week they did not ease us into anything in our classes or work, so much for the laid-back lifestyle. Sidenote… CAPA is also probably the most disorganized program EVER… Anywho this is my week so far!

Sunday was a nice relaxing day after spending Saturday running around the walkabout park. Abby, Maggie, Jackie and I decided on our spring break in CAIRNS!!!! I am beyond excited to be spending spring break on the beach and snorkeling and diving the Great Barrier Reef!! (Sorry Stephen… I’ll bring you home some fishies J ). We haven’t planned any of our excursions yet but we’ve looked into things and will probably be doing diving, exploring the rainforest, and potentially hot air ballooning! T- 1 month away! CAPA **attempted** to plan a dinner mixing the CAPA Augustana group and our CAPA group so we could get to know each other for that night in China Town but they were absolutely so disorganized and unprepared. Abby and I headed towards North Sydney and when we arrived with the rest of the group CAPA had failed to plan where all 100 of us would fit… Long story short, we all got 15 Australian Dollars and 8 of us who already knew each other went and got some awesome Chinese food. After that we went to the Bat & Ball Bar for a few drinks & headed home.

Monday, as usual is going to be my least favorite day of the week… It was the first real day of classes and I sat in one room from 9am to 4:15pm. Man did that stink. I hope I never again have to take 3 and a half hour classes because boy do they drag. For an incredibly warm day the room was freezing, and it also lacked WIFI. AND I caught a cold. Boo Monday. Luckily our first professor gave us a 20-minute break in the middle so Maggie, Julia and I went to Greenwood Plaza and grabbed lunch… sushi is SO good here, and I got a delicious smoothie. After suffering through a God awful communications class with a less than helpful professor the day finally ended… 7 hours later…

Tuesday was much better than Monday though the weather took a downward turn and was rainy and chilly. Still a good 50 degrees warmer than Boston but cold for here! Mike* runs his practice out of his home on Tuesdays so after tending to a patient with back issues due to dropping a weight backwards we learned some spinal manipulations from Michelle*, an Arizona PT grad student finishing up a clinical with Nick. It was really interesting to see how you can manipulate and help the thoracic - lumbar spine and why it matters. I’m sure Stephen can’t wait till I’m home so he can get back massages and such so I can practice ;). We then got lunch at the Strawberry Hotel before heading home. (See, always food/drinks after work!) My roommates and I have found this AWESOME Chinese Dating show that’s on most nights from 7:30-8:30 called “If you are the one” (rough translation). The host is so mean to the contestants and the girls on the show but apparently it’s a huge hit! Some real catches end up on the show and here’s the important part… if a girl gets picked by the guy for a date... she gets a pair of shoes... Isn’t the date good enough?! If you ever get the chance to watch it, you absolutely should.

Wednesday is thankfully my day off. Unfortunately for me I did not spend it relaxing on the beach. It was cloudy and I didn’t leave my apartment because I did homework all day long. They really aren’t into getting your feet wet and easing you into the work here because I was assigned 2 projects, and 2 research papers already. I was going to get started looking into sources for some of those but instead I had to waste my day doing online homework assignments for discussion forums. There is nothing I loathe more than giving work for the sake of giving work... After essentially learning nothing on Monday I spent my free afternoon doing busy work. It doesn’t help that I paid $50 for a “dangle” (so that I can use the internet without eating up our apartments allotted 1 GB per day per the 4 of us) THAT DOESN’T WORK. Hopefully my future Wednesdays are more relaxing than that one was.

Today I woke up at 5 am for my internship and worked from 7-12. Thursday’s are only half days so not too many patients were in so it wasn’t too busy. I learned more about how important the pelvis and thoracic region is to keeping the rest of the body aligned and running smoothly as well as more massage techniques and how to manipulate some specific vertebrae on the spine in different ways. After that, Mike* (my supervisor) had Joe* (a GW PT student here on clinical) and I come to a rugby game with him to observe and be extra hands incase there were any injuries. There was but it was just someone’s finger so there wasn’t much to do. I still really do not understand rugby so hopefully I pick that up soon! Once I got home Maggie and I found a bank so that she could open her account, turned in some forms and went to Al Capone Pizza. So good. It’s nice to not cook for myself every once and a while here.

Another 5am morning tomorrow… I don’t think I’m going to be a huge fan of Friday’s :(.

** I’m not sure if I should really be putting co-workers names on here so I changed them just incase J


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment